You planned the perfect, healthy holiday meal, complete with a decadent and gorgeous keto dessert, and then, right in the middle of your mad-dash cooking spree, you realize you forgot an ingredient. Whether this is your worst nightmare, or something you’re actually experiencing right now, reassure yourself with this list of 16 stores open on Christmas.
What Stores Are Open on Christmas Day?
Based on what they’ve done in previous years, the stores on this list will most likely be open on Christmas Day. But the decision of whether or not to open a store on Christmas is often left to managers and franchises, as are the hours the store will be open for. Before you go, take a minute to call the store nearest you to confirm that they are, in fact, open.
Option #1: Head to 1 of These 4 Grocery Stores
Your best option for finding forgotten ingredients will, of course, be a grocery store. And as it happens, there are four grocery stores open on Christmas. Again, this is a prediction, so you’ll want to call to double-check that they’re open this year.
- Albertsons: The second-largest supermarket chain in North America, with 2,200 stores under its banner, including Safeway, Acme Markets, Shaw’s and Star Market, Vons, Tom Thumb, Randalls, and Jewel-Osco, will probably keep select locations open for limited hours on Christmas. Best guess? Hours will be from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, though some stores may remain open later.
- Bristol Farms: This West Coast chain whose stores are concentrated in Southern California will be open on Christmas Day for all your last-minute recipe needs. Some locations will most likely be closing early though.
- Ralphs: Another Southern California-based supermarket chain with over 200 locations, Ralphs typically opens their doors for business as usual on Christmas Day. Hallelujah!
- Morton Williams: This family-owned food retailer, which operates 15 stores in the New York City Metropolitan area, has you covered for that moment when you realize you ran out of nutmeg before tackling your beloved keto Swedish meatball recipe! Reports indicate stores will close in the early evening, so make your run earlier rather than later.
Option #2: Try Your Luck at 1 of These 9 Convenience Stores
While you won’t have access to the full set of options available at a grocery store, the odds are good that you’ll be able to find a convenience store near you that’s open on Christmas Day and stocks kitchen essentials like eggs and milk.
These nine convenience stores should all be open on Christmas Day.
- 7-Eleven: Most locations in this international chain of convenience stores are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including Christmas. A great option for any missing items needed for late night revelry!
- Wawa: This beloved East Coast convenience store chain (and the third largest food retailer in the Greater Philadelphia area!) typically opens with limited hours on Christmas.
- Family Dollar: Some of the chain’s 8,000 stores will be open 24 hours on Christmas, while others will operate with limited hours. If you’re trying to check forgotten recipe ingredients, extra batteries for electronic gifts, a few more rolls of paper towels, and a few pet toys to toss in your cat Agatha’s stocking off your list all at the same time, Family Dollar is the place for you.
- Cumberland Farms: Practically every single Cumberland farms store—scattered across the east coast from Maine to Florida—will stay open from 7:00 am to midnight on Christmas Day. Some locations may open later, so call before making a morning trip. Plus, they give customers your choice of a free hot chocolate, coffee, or tea. Happy holidays, indeed!
- Circle K and Couche-Tard: These sibling chains of convenience stores, concentrated in the Southern, Western, and Midwestern United States, tend to be open 24/7, 365 days a year. Head here to grab the last stick of butter you need for your cauliflower mash recipe.
- Speedway: The largest convenience store chain in Ohio, with locations throughout the Midwest and East Coast, many of which stay open 24/7 on Christmas Day.
- Casey’s General Stores: This Midwestern convenience store chain operates 2,073 stores in 16 states, all of which will most likely be open on Christmas Day. Important note: even if a location is typically open 24 hours a day, it won’t open until 10:00 am on Christmas.
- QuickChek: A good option for last-minute liquor runs, QuickChek operates 153 locations in New Jersey and New York and tends to keep their stores open on holidays, including Christmas. They do typically institute limited holiday hours, so you’ll want to call your local store for more information.
- Sheetz: This family-owned chain of convenience stores and coffee shops can be found in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Virginia, and parts of North Carolina. Most of their more than 500 locations are open 24 hours a day, and keep those same hours on Christmas.
Option #3: Give 1 of These 3 Chain Pharmacies a Shot
This is definitely an option of last resort for filling in recipe holes, but most chain pharmacies do have at least one grocery aisle plus limited refrigerated and frozen options. Here are three chains that stay open on Christmas Day.
- CVS: The largest pharmacy chain in the United States, with 9,600 stores in 49 states, does keep its stores open on Christmas. Hours will vary from location to location, with some 24-hour stores open for the entirety of the day, other stores operating normal hours, still others open from 8:00 am to 9:00 pm, and yet another set closing early. Locations inside Target stores will not be open at all. Definitely call the store nearest you to get a handle on when they’ll be open.
- Walgreens and Duane Reade: The second-largest pharmacy chain in the United States, which bought Duane Reade, a New York City-based chain, in 2010, typically keeps its stores open on Christmas. Locations with 24/7 hours will be open all day, while others will be open from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Rite Aid: The largest drugstore chain on the East Coast and third largest in the nation also stays open on Christmas Day. Some stores will close in the early afternoon (so call to check!), but those typically open 24/7 will not alter their hours for the holiday.